Awareness of Pleasant Experiences
So stress is a fact of life and we all react differently and at different levels to stressful events. We can even react differently at different times and different contexts to very similar situations. Therefore, even though we may not be able to control the source of stress, we can and do manage our stress levels most of the time. Problems and stress long-term stress symptoms begin to occur when the stress reaction is extended and it is not managed.
Awareness is one key word in stress management. So, this week we move from general awareness to a more specific awareness of pleasant experiences.
5-min of Pleasant Experiences
This week until next Tuesday whenever you can,save 3 more minutes to reflect on your recent pleasant experiences in addition to your 2-min breath observing. Recent means the same day, the day before or so.
- Sit down comfortably.
- Set your alarm to 3 minutes.
- Think of your recent pleasant experiences and pick one, anyone. It doesn’t have to be big or small, too pleasant or not-so pleasant.
- Now, begin recollecting the moment of the experience and answer the following questions:
- Did you notice the nice feelings when they came?
- How did you feel physically?
- What were your thoughts and feeling followed?
- How do you feel as you remember this experience now?
- When the alarm goes off, take a moment to finish up your thoughts and set the alarm for another 2 minutes.
- Now, watch your breath. Only observe – no judgment!
- Stay for another moment. Uncross and stretch your legs and do a few seated twists on each side.
Maybe, you can try going through the child’s pose-table top-chest and chin down-baby cobra sequence.